12 CA Hospitals Fined for Immediate Jeopardy Violations
3. At California Men's Colony, San Luis Obispo, in San Luis Obispo County, an institution for minimally and medium security risk prisoners, a 76-year-old inmate died after receiving another inmate/patient's methadone, records indicate.
The prison was fined $50,000. This was its first penalty.
4. At Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz, in Santa Cruz County, state documents note that a testicular cancer patient received "an excessive amount of a chemotherapy medication (cisplatin), causing the patient's symptoms to worsen over the next five days.
According to state documents, the patient's primary oncologist "stated 'I discovered that I had transposed two numbers in calculating his chemotherapy doses, and thus, the patient had received 100 mg per meter squared per day of cisplatin instead of 20 mg. ... for the four days he was administered the chemotherapy."
ROUNDS: Performance Improvement
for Quality and Bottom-Line Outcomes
When: October 26, 2011
Register today for this live webcast from Denver Health with invited guest Virtua
Dominican was fined $75,000. This was Dominican's third penalty.
5. At Emanuel Medical Center, Turlock, in Stanislaus County, the state's report describes a pneumonia patient who also had sepsis, received a central line catheter in the right femoral vein "without the benefit of written protocol. This failure resulted in a guide wire (a wire or spring used to introduce and guide the catheter into place, then removed) being left in Patient 1, and had the potential to cause physical harm from the guide wire itself."
The patient required a second procedure to remove the guide wire, but state documents said that it was "lost in the patient," and was found and removed through the superior vena cava," and pulled out through the groin.
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013