ACO Final Rule: 10 Healthcare Leaders Sound Off
Mendelson noted that while ACOs are designed to reduce healthcare costs by improving care coordination, only 5% of the 33 quality measures in the final rule address care coordination.
Jonathan Blum, director of Medicare for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, was an Avalere vice president prior to his CMS appointment in 2009.
ACCESS. INSIGHT. ANALYSIS.
Join the HealthLeaders Media Council
Get members-only access to industry-wide intelligence, forecasts, and analysis positions your organization to benchmark against your peers, identify and respond to key trends shaping healthcare, and make sound business decisions.
4. George Roman, senior director for health policy, American Medical Group Association:
"There are three other guidance documents issued from the DoJ, the IRS, and the FTC that have to do with assurances, safe harbors, and waivers about anti-trust concerns, anti-kickbacks, and civil money penalties. These are, in fairness, not in the purview of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, so it has yet to be determined whether these will dovetail adequately.
"If I was a CEO of a large medial enterprise and I didn't have reasonable assurance they weren't going to put handcuffs on me and that was not offered in the preliminary documents, in my view, I would certainly seek to get those assurances or I wouldn't proceed. The devil is in the details. I'm hopeful they will be flexible that these signs and concessions hold true throughout. We want this model to succeed.
5. Neil Kirschner, Senior associate with regulatory and insurer affairs with the American College of Physicians:
"CMS went as far as it could to make the ACO as attractive as possible for physician participation. I can't remember a time when CMS has been so responsive.
- ICD-10 Delay Alters Provider, Vendor Prep
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Crisis Spurs Healthcare Payment Reform in Arkansas
- Payment Reform Naysayers 'Better Wake Up'
- HIT Leaders Want Flexibility, Transparency from Next HHS Chief
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- As Hospitalist Patient Loads Rise, So Do Hospital Costs
- Reduce Readmissions by Activating Patients to Do 'Self-Care'
- Advance Directives: Let's Make a Law