CEO Exchange: Top Execs Share Insights, Solutions, and Strategies
The Baylor Quality Alliance, for example, starts with its own employees, according to Steve Newton, west region president at Baylor Scott & White Healthcare in Grapevine, Texas. He says they have already achieved some impressive results.
A Self-Insurance Pilot
"Our self-insured population has 35,000 covered lives, we're connecting IT with 600 employed doctors in a private label ACO, and we've achieved a cost reduction of 5% in the past year through adopting certain clinical pathways and getting all the specialty groups to follow clinical guidelines based on algorithms that were developed under evidence based medicine, and that also happen to cost less money," he says.
"It's a pilot project, but with the scale, we have enough points of access. Scaling that kind of thing is the fundamental challenge. The question is whether we can effectively aggregate our clinical assets to be ready to share risk."
Just more than half (54%) of respondents say they've planned a "selective" growth strategy over the next three years, with another 39% saying their growth strategy would be "aggressive." Only 7% plan caution in growth.
Capital Spending Projections
One reason for growth is to build scale, in a defensive reaction to shrinking reimbursements and other challenges facing healthcare organizations today. HealthLeaders Media continues to cover the ongoing M&A trend. Yet among CEO Exchange attendees, hospital acquisition falls at the bottom of planned 2014 capital budget expenditures.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Ascension, Carondelet to Partner with Tenet, Dignity Health