Systemwide Process Improvement
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
The return on investment for systemwide process improvement, Kaplan says, extends beyond revenue. Since adopting VMPS, there have been innumerable quality improvements, such as:
- Nursing units improved the percentage of time spent providing direct patient care to 90% from 35%, with changes such as in-room stocking of common supplies, bedside handoffs and patient care charting.
- Nursing teams cut the incidence of pressure ulcers to 2% from 8%, preventing a projected 838 patients per year from acquiring bedsores.
- Teams cut staff walking distance by 2.8 miles and removed 357 hours of lead time from lab operations. This, with other improvements, has reduced the time to report lab test results to patients by more than 85%.
- Pharmacy teams improved medication distribution time from physician order to availability for administration to 10 minutes from 2.5 hours and reduced incomplete inpatient medication orders to less than 0.2% from a range of 20% to 40%.
- Quality improvements have led to a 52% reduction in professional liability insurance in the past five years.
With healthcare reform taking hold and decreased Medicare and Medi-caid reimbursements looming, Kaplan believes that this approach is even more relevant. “The quick fixes are few and far between. Though returns can be seen early on, in many forms … this is a long journey,” says Kaplan.
Mercy St. Vincent Hospital, Toledo, OH
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center is a 532-licensed-bed Level 1 Trauma Center for adults and children. It is the critical care regional referral and teaching center within the seven-hospital Mercy Health System, based in Toledo, OH. Mercy St. Vincent was a key in helping Mercy and its parent organization, Catholic Health Partners, achieve recognition as one of the top 10 health systems in the United States by Thomson Reuters. The hospital’s process improvement efforts began with Lean and Six Sigma back in 2006.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers