Medical, Administrative Leaders Demonstrate Power of Collaboration
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
The Accelerating Best Care at Baylor is an educational program that focuses on healthcare quality and improvement, and teaches healthcare leaders theory and techniques of rapid-cycle quality improvement and outcomes management. It facilitates the enhancement of skills for physicians, nurses, administration, and others to lead quality improvement
Referring to physician and hospital alignment in integrated systems, panelist Tim Attebery, vice president of cardiovascular services at Wellmont Health System based in Kingsport, TN, expressed some caution for those embarking on the process. He says many physicians are taking the wrong initial steps.
“A lot of cardiology groups are in discussion with hospitals about an integration arrangement, and they have not put together a service line management arrangement,” he says
For physicians to be “truly at the table, to be accountable for the overall performance of the enterprise, they have to have management responsibility, and those responsibilities need to have quality metrics, cost metrics, patient satisfaction metrics, and growth metrics. The physicians need to maintain a level of intensity and engagement.” Attebery had previously served as CEO of Cardiovascular Associates, which was acquired by Wellmont Health System in May 2010. Attebery served in a leadership role in the integration of CVA into Wellmont’s structure.
Suzette Jaskie, MBA, executive director of Frederik Meijer Heart & Vascular Institute for Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, MI, says before physicians consider working within a health system, they may weigh their autonomy against their ability to impact a system of care. Working within a system may seem more favorable because “autonomy is a small price to pay for impact,” she says. The Frederik Meijer Heart & Vascular Institute was formed at Spectrum Health in July 2010.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations