Experience the Patient
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Director of Operations
Morristown (N.J.) Medical Center
In order to improve the patient experience, it is critical to make satisfaction a top priority and area of focus for the organization. A key factor in being successful is the involvement of the entire healthcare team. So you have to include your physicians, nurses, ancillary staff, support departments, because everyone is critical to achieving the same goal.
It goes back to focus, priorities, and accountability. Most of our challenges are in the domain of communication. To achieve success in improving patient satisfaction, you have to establish accountability and focus the organization to put satisfaction as a top priority. In leadership we say, "Oh, yes, this is really important." But when we get distracted with other initiatives it can be easy to lose sight of the bigger picture of improving the patient experience.
If you do hourly rounding and you do it right, you diminish the patients having to press the call bell to meet their needs. If you are rounding on the patient every hour, you should be able to address those needs before they ask you. Hourly rounding is a key tactic that is critical in improving the patient experience by allowing the healthcare team to anticipate and meet the patients' needs before they have to ring the call bell. It helps us to understand what responsiveness means to each individual patient and their caregivers.
We've started putting the behavioral expectations in very specific detail into the performance appraisal for all employees, and patient satisfaction is part of your performance expectation.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians