Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Susan L. Davis RN, EdD
President and CEO
Sacred Heart Health System,
President and CEO
St. Vincent's Health System
On building the infrastructure: We have the components of it: a multispecialty
medical group, the acute care component, some extended care. What we don't have is the IT infrastructure to give us the data and the information that we need to prepare the organization to move forward in a risk-sharing environment. We are building it.
On the IT hurdle: IT is the biggest hurdle for us, and I don't think we are alone. There are so many different platforms we are all on and having the right types of tools to overlay on top of those platforms to be able to understand the cost basis and the clinical care outcomes is just not an easy process to implement. There are not a lot of vendors out there who have a lot of experience with it. The availability of trained IT people is also a challenge.
On the implementation: What has to drive your organization is developing your strategy and implementing it so that you have confidence in your numbers. I don't think you would want to do this just because your competitor across town is ahead of you on the curve. You need to drive the process of getting the data, making sure there is credibility in the data you have and that you have a system that enables you to respond so that your health system isn't left in the dust.
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- States Without Medicaid Expansion Search for Alternatives
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions