Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Susan L. Davis RN, EdD
President and CEO
Sacred Heart Health System,
President and CEO
St. Vincent's Health System
On building the infrastructure: We have the components of it: a multispecialty
medical group, the acute care component, some extended care. What we don't have is the IT infrastructure to give us the data and the information that we need to prepare the organization to move forward in a risk-sharing environment. We are building it.
On the IT hurdle: IT is the biggest hurdle for us, and I don't think we are alone. There are so many different platforms we are all on and having the right types of tools to overlay on top of those platforms to be able to understand the cost basis and the clinical care outcomes is just not an easy process to implement. There are not a lot of vendors out there who have a lot of experience with it. The availability of trained IT people is also a challenge.
On the implementation: What has to drive your organization is developing your strategy and implementing it so that you have confidence in your numbers. I don't think you would want to do this just because your competitor across town is ahead of you on the curve. You need to drive the process of getting the data, making sure there is credibility in the data you have and that you have a system that enables you to respond so that your health system isn't left in the dust.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- Providers Ask HHS to Address EHR Interoperability Barriers