Service Lines, Integration, and Population Health
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Rogers explains that it is vital to include primary care physicians in the discussions about the new roles for service lines. "Generally speaking, the primary care physicians in traditional patient care would send the patient to specialties relatively quickly, whenever the primary care physician has gotten anything that seems a little bit complicated. Now there is going to be more focus on those primary care docs managing really complex patients and hanging on to those patients and only accessing the specialists when they truly need them from a proceduralist's perspective or when [the patient] gets to a high-end state. That's why bringing the primary care physician in as a component when thinking about how to build and grow your service lines is going to be really critical to me in the future."
The continuum of care
Nowhere in the survey results can we see the emphasis on the continuum of care demonstrated in a stronger fashion than in the near universal acknowledgment of the importance of outpatient programs and postacute care to service line success. Overall, 98% say that outpatient programs are very important or somewhat important to service line success. Similarly, 86% say postacute care programs are somewhat or very important.
"If we are truly effective about keeping patients healthy," says MHSA's Rogers, "in the future when you think about population health management, it means that there will probably be fewer patients in the inpatient setting."
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers