Show, Don't Tell Patient Experience
JMC was sustaining 90th percentile rankings until it hit a wall during the second quarter when it fell to 74th. The scenario was puzzling – leadership had already established patient satisfaction standards such as hourly rounds, bedside shift reports, and post-discharge calls within 24 hours.
The answer was staff complacency about following these established protocols. To address the problem, leadership scheduled mandatory refresher training, and the next quarter scores were back up in the 99th percentile, Edmonson says.
Staff just needed little reminders about keeping a patient focus --- the same message they hope to remind the community. A hospital's walls can literally be crumbling around patients, but if the staff stays positive, there will be a trickledown effect to patients.
The best patient satisfaction score Edmonson remembers during his 16 years as a hospital CEO was when the ER at Hillside Hospital in Pulaski, TN was under construction.
“The staff was so concerned, they were saying ‘I’m sorry about the noise’ or ‘I’m sorry about the dust,’” he says. “The place was as raunchy as it could be but the staff was extremely empathetic and that resonated with patients.”
For more information on boosting patient experience sign up for my Quantify and Cultivate Patient Engagement webcast airing September 22. I'll be talking with Jeanne Kuriyan, Principal, as well as June Connor and Sandra Mackey from Emory Healthcare about how to keep 90th percentile patient satisfaction scores.
Questions? Comments? Story ideas? Anna Webster, Online Content Coordinator for HealthLeaders Media, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Anna Webster on Twitter
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals