SHSMD: CEOs Discuss Cultural Change Leadership
Q. How do you avoid 'flavor of the month' initiatives?
Marinello: You have to keep driving the strategy you are working to accomplish and reinforce that it's not going away. Keep bringing it up.
Sadvary: In our jobs as CEO, we are guilty of [flavor of the month initiatives]. We need to deliver the message in a consistent way.
Q. In an organization with multiple systems, how do you mix multiple cultures?
Kuhn: Banner Health recently acquired two new hospitals and there was a very structured integration program. A lot of it is having a common infrastructure; you need to have a common electronic medical record system, etc. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to get the groups and leadership buy-in from the top to make everything the same.
Q. What is the greatest value a marketing team brings to the C-suite?
Marinello: They are out there as the eyes and ears. Our regional marketing director understands ROI and what brings value to the organization.
Sadvary: Marketing intelligence is very important. We need to know what the doctors, patients, and employees are thinking. As a CEO, the more I know the more I can drive a strategy. We have a long way to go, we think we know what docs and patients are thinking. Wrong.
Questions? Comments? Story ideas? Anna Webster, Online Content Coordinator for HealthLeaders Media, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Anna Webster on Twitter
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT