3 Outstanding Breast Cancer Awareness Campaigns
High-tech breast risk assessment tool
El Camino Hospital in Mountain View, CA, launched a comprehensive high-risk breast program this month, featuring a tablet-based assessment for patients. The program is aimed at the 3—6% of the mammography population that is considered high-risk.
The program begins with Breast Health Center mammogram patients completing the risk assessment via electronic tablet while they wait for their appointment. Physicians share the assessment results, along with their mammogram results, with patients and the patient's referring physician.
All who identify as high-risk are contacted by a nurse within a week to discuss additional screening options such as genetic counseling and BRCA genetic testing.
The Breast Health Center has also recently adopted Volpara, breast density measurement software that helps radiologists assess breast density more objectively and determine who might benefit from additional screening.
The program also uses advanced diagnostic equipment, including one of the most powerful breast MRIs available and a new 3-D breast ultrasound. The hospital says it is the first hospital in Northern California to offer the advanced 3-D screening option.
Launching this tablet-based risk assessment tool and high-risk breast program during breast cancer awareness month was a smart move on El Camino Hospital's part. This tactic is worth considering for other organizations, especially those that are budget-challenged, as the national breast cancer organizations basically do the initial awareness for you during October.
Once the topic is already top-of-mind for patients, it's the best time to hit them with your organization's services and specific messaging.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations