4 Top Mobile App Types for Healthcare Providers
Marianne Aiello, for HealthLeaders Media, February 27, 2013
ER wait time app
While some organizations, like WakeMed, choose to include ER wait times in their general information app, many have found success in creating a stand-alone app consisting of only emergency department information.
Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is one such organization with an ER wait time application for iPhone and Android. In addition to displaying all of the medical center's ER wait times it includes a special mapping function to show patients how to get to DMC from any location. The app also includes information about the medical center's 29-minute ER guarantee.
Service-line specific app
As hospitals have been growing more comfortable in the mobile application market, they've been experimenting with service-line specific apps, and women's health is one of the fastest growing areas.
OhioHealth has a popular women's health app that aims to connect patients with their obstetric and gynecological caregivers. The mobile app, available for iPhone and Android, provides expectant mothers with text, images, and videos about all aspects of their pregnancies, from appointment reminders to screening test explanations. OhioHealth also has apps in the works for orthopedics, sports medicine, and other specialties.
Apps offer a new communications channel with patients, enabling them to become more engaged with your organization, learn more about your services, and better control their health. This area is only going to continue to grow, so get developing now.
- How Medical Debt Forgiveness Benefits Hospitals
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream
- Rural Healthcare Can Entice the Best and Brightest