4 Top Mobile App Types for Healthcare Providers
ER wait time app
While some organizations, like WakeMed, choose to include ER wait times in their general information app, many have found success in creating a stand-alone app consisting of only emergency department information.
Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is one such organization with an ER wait time application for iPhone and Android. In addition to displaying all of the medical center's ER wait times it includes a special mapping function to show patients how to get to DMC from any location. The app also includes information about the medical center's 29-minute ER guarantee.
Service-line specific app
As hospitals have been growing more comfortable in the mobile application market, they've been experimenting with service-line specific apps, and women's health is one of the fastest growing areas.
OhioHealth has a popular women's health app that aims to connect patients with their obstetric and gynecological caregivers. The mobile app, available for iPhone and Android, provides expectant mothers with text, images, and videos about all aspects of their pregnancies, from appointment reminders to screening test explanations. OhioHealth also has apps in the works for orthopedics, sports medicine, and other specialties.
Apps offer a new communications channel with patients, enabling them to become more engaged with your organization, learn more about your services, and better control their health. This area is only going to continue to grow, so get developing now.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'