4 Top Mobile App Types for Healthcare Providers
ER wait time app
While some organizations, like WakeMed, choose to include ER wait times in their general information app, many have found success in creating a stand-alone app consisting of only emergency department information.
Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is one such organization with an ER wait time application for iPhone and Android. In addition to displaying all of the medical center's ER wait times it includes a special mapping function to show patients how to get to DMC from any location. The app also includes information about the medical center's 29-minute ER guarantee.
Service-line specific app
As hospitals have been growing more comfortable in the mobile application market, they've been experimenting with service-line specific apps, and women's health is one of the fastest growing areas.
OhioHealth has a popular women's health app that aims to connect patients with their obstetric and gynecological caregivers. The mobile app, available for iPhone and Android, provides expectant mothers with text, images, and videos about all aspects of their pregnancies, from appointment reminders to screening test explanations. OhioHealth also has apps in the works for orthopedics, sports medicine, and other specialties.
Apps offer a new communications channel with patients, enabling them to become more engaged with your organization, learn more about your services, and better control their health. This area is only going to continue to grow, so get developing now.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices