Med Schools Failing on Conflict of Interest Policies
The top five medical schools that came closest to meeting the national CCOI standards were:
- Emory University School of Medicine
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine
Among schools with the weakest policies:
- Saint Louis University School of Medicine
- George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Weill Cornell Medical College
- University of Nebraska College of Medicine
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Heather Pierce, senior director, science policy for the Association of American Medical Colleges, says AAMC is "pleased" with the progress that medical schools have made in the last few years to strengthen COI policies.
"As the study notes, the progress that institutions have made since the AAMC task force reports outlining recommendations for COI policies that strike a balance between appropriate, principled partnerships with industry and protecting the integrity of clinical care decisions is encouraging," Pierce said via email.
"We are encouraged by the robust and continued dialogue surrounding these issues. These discussions have also been spurred by national transparency initiatives such as the newly implemented rule on financial conflicts of interest in federally funded research as well as the information that will be available to the public through the Open Payments database of payments made to physicians and teaching hospitals under the provisions of the Affordable Care Act known as the Physician Payments Sunshine Act."
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations