CommonWell EHR Interoperability Pilot Announced
CommonWell's announcement was accompanied by several prepared statements by participating providers.
"We know firsthand how the lack of seamless data flow between clinicians can be a challenge in delivering excellent care. Palmetto Health has patients that interact with a number of different providers," stated Tripp Jennings, M.D., system vice president, medical informatics officer of Palmetto Health. "We are pleased to be part of this interoperability effort with CommonWell because breaking down health data silos and having patient health data available to providers, no matter the setting of care, will improve quality and the patient experience."
"Despite tremendous advances in electronic health records, communication among diverse systems is poor," stated AnnMargaret McCraw, CEO of Midlands Orthopaedics. "We've signed up for CommonWell because we believe that achieving true interoperability among EHRs is fundamental to improving healthcare."
Still unknown are details of the fees expected to accompany CommonWell services once commercially deployed.
"Part of what we want to do is learn from this experience, [and] figure out the value proposition firsthand by working with customers," Reid says. "There's a backlog of requests for us to work through additional vendors that want to collaborate and participate with the alliance, so that's a next step."
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal