Hospitals With Outstanding Nursing Quality Share 4 Key Traits
Many display unit-specific data right on the unit so that staff nurses can clearly see how their unit is doing and how it compares to others. This keeps staff engaged and allows for swift reaction. For example, if data shows a sudden increase in patient falls, the unit can immediately identify the problem and start a course correction.
Plus, don’t underestimate the value of unit pride. Having a “better than national benchmark” score on various quality indicators is a source of great satisfaction and can be a powerful motivator if those scores change.
3. Support evidence-based practice. Organizations with excellent nursing quality benchmarks actively ensure the latest research is implemented into practice. Many organizations employ clinical nurse leaders or doctorally prepared nurse researchers to help staff identify clinical issues and utilize research.
4. Promote autonomy and accountability. Nursing-sensitive quality indicators are so called because they are to do with the structure, process, and outcomes of nursing care. Top organizations expect nurses to be responsible for these indicators and hold them accountable to the measures. They empower them with the autonomy to decide how nursing care is provided and how improvements should be conducted.
Rebecca Hendren is a senior managing editor at HCPro, Inc. in Danvers, MA. She edits www.StrategiesForNurseManagers.com and manages The Leaders' Lounge blog for nurse managers. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition