Anatomy of a Nursing Image Awards Nominee
The nominations put a spotlight on the pairing of soft skills such as communication with a dispassionate eye for the bottom line. In this era of layoffs, dwindling reimbursements, and shrinking budgets, the nominators recognize leaders who are honest with staff and who have partnered with them to find solutions that work for nurses, patients, and the organization's business goals.
"She is a staff advocate. When administration makes decisions that may have a less than optimal outcome on staff morale, she steps up and doesn't just complain, but offers management ideas for solutions that work in the best interest of the business as well as the staff."
"She is also a business advocate, demonstrating to the staff daily that all resources can be allocated in many different directions as needs arise to meet the needs of the patients but still remain a solvent agency."
These nurse leaders are proactive in helping staff focus on innovation and change rather than resistance.
"She has developed a work session for direct care nurses to promote innovation in nursing."
"She constantly stimulates us to read leadership books and we conduct book reviews as a group on a monthly basis."
"She inspires and ignites passion to attain goals by developing people as she guides and instructs on new and innovative ways to care for patients."
The winners will be announced soon; the nominating stories will inspire me all year.
Rebecca Hendren is a senior managing editor at HCPro, Inc. in Danvers, MA. She edits www.StrategiesForNurseManagers.com and manages The Leaders' Lounge blog for nurse managers. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014