Cigna Acquisition Highlights Role of Chronic Care Management
"We identify the resources we need to bring to bear, such as a social worker or behavioral health, and we coordinate with the member's PCP in the delivery of those services."
Morris says right now chronic care is Alegis Care's smallest business. "We think we have the membership to scale this and we know how to do it in a risk environment. "
Alegis Care will continue to provide TPA services to other insurers. Morris says Cigna expects to build a business model to enable Alegis Care to continue to work for third parties and "be very successful at it. We think this is a population where no one has scaled the delivery of chronic care services and management—not the coordination of care—the actual delivery of care to chronics."
Alegis Care is already in five of the markets where Cigna-HealthSpring has Medicaid and Medicare Advantage members. There are plans to expand across all of those markets.
Morris also expects to capitalize on potential synergies with Cigna-HealthSpring's LivingWell clinics, which contract with physicians who work out of their own offices to provide in-office care to seniors. If a LivingWell patient is suddenly homebound, then Alegis Care physicians could be engaged to provide bridge care until the patient could once again travel to the LivingWell clinic for care. "That is part of our strategy," says Morris.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'