How to Be RAC-Ready in 2011
JC: What led you to a profession as a Medicare regulatory specialist?
KAH: Much of my family works in hospitals to this day and I had a lot of exposure to that growing up. So when I graduated law school, the hospital that I had been working at—it was essentially a college job at the time—was looking for a compliance officer and once I got started, I really enjoyed it. I love to solve problems and puzzles, and some of the regulations out there are just like a big jigsaw puzzle: You have to dig around and find the pieces and put them all together, and so I was very intrigued by it and it tends to fit my personality. So now, being able to find these answers and share them with people on a full-time basis is just so much fun. In addition, most hospitals in this country are non-profit, so I feel like they are serving their community. The more help that we can give them, the better.
Kimberly Anderwood Hoy, JD, CPC, is director of Medicare and Compliance at HCPro. She is the head of regulatory surveillance and custom education for HCPro’s Revenue Cycle Institute and is the lead instructor for HCPro’s Medicare Boot Camp® – Hospital Version. Hoy is a national expert in Medicare compliance and regulatory issues.
RAC-Withdrawn Reviews, Explained
Physician RAC Vulnerabilities Detailed in CMS Release
CMS Unveils Billing, Coding Guidance
3 RAC Audit Survival Tips
18 Medical Necessity Issues OK'd for RAC Review
RAC: The Problem with the Three-day Rule
Getting Ahead of the Revenue Cycle Curve with Technology
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- Physicians Take SGR Repeal Message to Washington
- Size Matters in Antibiotic Overuse
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away