Online Tool Takes the 'Wait' Out of Waiting Rooms
"If you look at customer satisfaction surveys, the No. 1 complaint is not time spent with the doctor or quality with the doctor, it's time spent in the waiting room," he says.
"Anything that we can do to impact that will improve the doctor-patient relationship. Once the patient has been waiting for an hour and you walk into the exam room, it's a totally different relationship."
"If the patient feels that they have more control over the situation, they're not as edgy and uptight," Liggett adds. Mehta says the idea for MedWaitTime was created with the doctor-patient relationship in mind, since the tool allows physicians to communicate wait times to patients without making phone calls.
When a physician doesn't honor an appointment time, it leaves patients feeling as though the physician hasn't respected their time, says Mehta. "Changing that relationship by demonstrating that you're doing your best to be mindful and respectful of their time is huge for the doctorpatient relationship."
Mehta uses MedWaitTime in his own orthopedic practice. Some of his patients include nuclear physicists who work for Fermilab in nearby Batavia, IL. "It doesn't make any sense to have them sitting in a waiting room reading Better Homes and Gardens," he says. "It's the same for the young mom who has four kids. It's crazy to have these people sitting around for an hour unnecessarily. It's time to put an end to that, especially when it's something as simple as a technology solution."
- 3 Favorite Nursing Trends of 2013
- Premier: ACOs Poised for Growth
- SGR Bill's Payment Transparency Provision Elicits Concern
- Your Meetings are Wasting Big Money
- AAFP: 72% of Patients Prefer Physicians to NPs
- 7 Signs Providers Are Opening Up About Bad Healthcare Outcomes
- Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
- ICD-10: Minimizing the Financial Hit
- HL20: Jeffrey Brenner, MD—Providing Better Care to Complex Patients
- HL20: Fred Trotter—Balancing Skepticism, Crowdsourcing, and Big Ideas in Healthcare IT