Top 5 Physician Challenges in 2011
In any event, for physicians, ACOs are a point of concern. Despite all the excitement and hype for pilot ACOs that begin in 2011, at least 42% of respondents in a September HealthLeaders Media report, Physician Alignment in an Era of Change, say there will be strained relations between hospitals and physicians with the advent of accountable care organizations.
The ACO movement, however, is likely to make its presence known in the years to come. In its wake, there will be "creative destruction" of the fragmented fee for service system, and "consequently the actions of physicians and hospitals during this period will determine the structure of the delivery system for many years," write Robert Kocher, MD and Nikhil R. Sahni, BS, in November 10 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
5.The American Board of Internal Medicine. Through much of 2010, the ABIM was dealing with the fallout of its proposed sanctions of 139 physicians for passing along and receiving exam questions from a test preparation company, which could result in dismissal of certificates for the accused physicians. At the outset, I got the impression from ABIM that it would resolve the issue expeditiously. Not the case. Appeals and settlement processes have begun, but months after the initial announcements of the alleged cheating, no formal declaration of what will eventually happen to the 139 physicians is really in sight Hopefully, the situation is resolved in 2011, with equanimity and justice for all involved.
Yes, from the uncertainty surrounding the American Board of Internal investigation to the uncertainty surrounding the Doc Fix, the diagnosis for physicians in 2011 is, well, we'll have to wait and see…
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014