In Meaningful Use Reports, Quality Matters
There is confidence among healthleaders that they will achieve meaningful use within the government's push for electronic health systems by 2016. In a recent HealthLeaders Media Intelligence Report, E-Health Systems, Opportunities and Obstacles, 90% of healthcare leaders say they'll achieve meaningful use from the governmental push for electronic health systems by 2016.
In the meantime, 60% of physician leaders say they are satisfied with the overall functionality of their systems. Of the respondents, 46% cited lack of financing or resources as the greatest challenge of implementing e-health systems, and about a quarter are still struggling to overcome physician resistance to electronic health systems.
On its face, the medical record information required for the set of measures in meaningful use may seem simplistic, Metzger says. But it is much more complicated, she says, to include determinations, for instance, "if the recommended care was given or desired health outcome achieved."
"One of the points of our (white paper) is that any EP or medical group working to meet Stage 1 requirements needs to look at the specifics as they pick the measures they will use to meet the quality reporting requirement," she says.
For physicians, the bottom line is this: "Health systems and medical groups need to gain a detailed understanding" of what is required, especially for quality measures, Metzger says.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Hospitals Profit On Bloodstream Infections
- Hospital Pricing Transparency a Marketing Game Changer
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Less Blood Testing for Some Surgeries Safe, Cost Effective
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions