CHI's Acquisition of St. Luke's Episcopal Health Detailed
"Since they were not able to reach agreement with Peace Health, this acquisition is not a big surprise," Kong said in an email exchange. "The cultural values fit and the opportunity to expand into Houston makes this deal very attractive for CHI and St Luke's."
"I like the fact that CHI is funding $1 billion to create a new Episcopal Health Foundation that will be focusing on providing care and health education needs of the underserved population," Kong says. "This demonstrates a fit of common values and the commitment of another $1 billion demonstrates CHI's commitment to support St Luke's growth and quality patient care."
"It will be interesting to see if they will receive regulatory approval for this transaction. Since CHI is already the second-largest non-profit hospital system in the US regulators are taking a closer look to make sure there's still fair competition and competitive pricing if they approve the merger."
The Right Reverend C. Andrew Doyle, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, said in prepared remarks that while the deal means that the Episcopal Diocese of Texas will no longer provide acute care, "this new foundation will address a widening gap in healthcare throughout our 57-county area. There is a care vacuum that must be addressed, including access to healthcare, prevention, community and environmental health, poverty, education and health disparities."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for CIOs
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- AHRQ: Surgical Admissions Bring 48% of Hospital Revenue
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT