ONC's Mostashari Announces Departure
In his letter Tuesday to colleagues, Mostashari conceded that "there are formidable challenges still ahead for our community, and for ONC. But none more difficult than what we have already accomplished. In these difficult and challenging times, your work gives us hope that we can still do big things as a country. That government and the private sector working together can do what neither can do alone. We have been pioneers in a new landscape, but that landscape is one changed forever, and for better."
As news of Mostashari's departure spread Tuesday, the paeans rolled in.
"Through Dr. Farzad Mostashari's leadership, we saw the Office of the National Coordinator lead our nation's providers through the first gates of measured, meaningful use of electronic health records, and address in reality those initial standards that make our health information portable across the U.S. healthcare system," College of Healthcare Information Management Executives President/CEO Russell P. Branzell and Chairman George T. Hickman said in a joint statement.
American Hospital Association senior vice president of policy Linda Fishman issued a statement saying: "We appreciate the hard work of Dr. Mostashari in supporting the adoption of electronic health records and working toward our shared vision. America's hospitals are on a pathway toward a reformed health system that is supported by the use of EHRs. We wish him the best of luck in his next endeavor and we will continue to work collaboratively with HHS to realize our shared vision."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians