Winners (and Losers) in the Quality Race for Cash
"We would be interested in knowing if there are indeed increases above 100% in the form of bonuses to hospitals that report superior quality results." Barney Osborne, vice president for finance for the South Carolina Hospital Association.
3. What measures from the current Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program measure set should be selected for the Hospital VBP program to drive quality improvement, and why? Which measures are most important, and how should they be weighted?
"(With respect to electronic medical records and meaningful use) VBP as it's shaping up looks like manual data extraction and a paper chase and the cost of that just doesn't justify the impact it will have on improving the health of people in our communities....It would be nice if VBP folks at CMS would walk across the hall and talk to the folks at ONC (The Office of National Coordinator for Health Information)." Stephen Grossbart, Catholic Healthcare Partners.
4. The legislation requires the inclusion of a Medicare Spending per Beneficiary efficiency measure, adjusted for age, sex, race, severity of illness and other factors? How should this be measured and how should risk adjustment be applied?
"I have concerns about the small rural critical access hospital, and about the ability for them to be successful. And once this is rolled out, how many of them will potentially close, and what will that do to access of care issues for rural people? What kind of burden will that place on tertiary hospitals?" Sherry Locke, St. Mary's Hospital in Nebraska City, NE.
5. The legislation calls for the Secretary to use the Hospital Compare website to include information that is useful to consumers and providers. What information should be included on the website? What performance data will be most useful to consumers and providers? What improvements should be made to the website?
"We recommend the Hospital Compare website show more variation among hospitals in their performance and include much more robust information about cost effectiveness and efficiency data as well as outcomes measures that we think should be far more well represented on the site." Leah Binder, CEO, The Leapfrog Group.
"A lot of my consumers in small rural areas don't know what Hospital Compare is. If they knew what it was, they might utilize it more to choose where they want to have their care." Dee Rogers of Magnolia Regional Medical Center, Magnolia, AR.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- Providers Ask HHS to Address EHR Interoperability Barriers