Engineering a High-Performance Emergency Department
A holistic view of the ED
Whether it is in investments in IT, or thinking about the larger physician staff, hospital leadership may have to view the ED as the hub of a larger clinical enterprise. So maybe the best investments that one can make for the ED might be in the primary care network. And perhaps putting the ED first is not always the best way to achieve results.
The ED was not the first department to go online as part of CHA's decade-old, system-wide electronic medical record implementation based on an Epic Systems platform. Bedside tracking and registration in the ED began two years ago after years of implementation on CHA's ambulatory network.
One of the benefits was that the physician's office—and not the ED—became the first stop for gathering patient history and other information that would have inevitably fallen on the ED had they been first, says Laura Nevill, RN, senior director for nursing informatics. "Their time in the triage would have gone from three minutes to 23 minutes because they'd be spending so much time trying to put in the medical and surgical history and the meds," Nevill says.
The HealthLeaders Media Rounds case study Create Your High-Performance, Patient-Centered Emergency Department, featuring leaders at Cambridge Health Alliance is available free.
For more specific performance takeaways, additional resources, and registration to the exclusive live Rounds event featuring Cambridge Health Alliance on March 29, click here.
Jim Molpus is Leadership Programs Director of HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Slides into Summer of Discontent
- Doc Shortage 'Fix' Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen
- Physician Pay Increasingly Linked to Value-based Metrics
- 2015 OPPS Proposed Rule Detailed
- Advanced EHRs Save 10% Per Patient, Study Says
- Critical Times for Small and Rural Hospitals
- Providence, Swedish Health Launch Employer-Driven ACO
- Fees Lurk in Health Plans' Shift to e-Payments
- Infuriated by MOC Rules, Physicians Unleash on Certification Boards
- 4 Hot Healthcare Exec Titles; 1 Not