Patient Experience Journey Lacks Defined Direction
Getting buy-in from nonemployed physicians can be challenging. Many contracts with independent physicians include performance metrics. However, as Provena's Robert observes, "Most of the time, they are the hard metrics, such as quality, complications, readmissions, and hospital-acquired conditions."
Thompson says Gundersen Lutheran has several tactics beyond compensation to help physicians improve their patient experience skills; among them are goal-setting, transparency in sharing performance results, and coaching. "People from our service excellence department accompany physicians on rounds. They observe the visit from start to finish, trying to figure out what could be done to improve the patient's view of the interaction."
ACCESS. INSIGHT. ANALYSIS.
Patient Experience and HCAHPS—Little Consensus on a Top Priority
Our new premium report provides everything in the free report, plus: segmentation data; key takeaways and actionable strategies; three real-world case studies; and discussion questions.
Poor assessment about HCAHPS
More than half (54%) of respondents say they do not consider HCAHPS to be an effective measure of patient experience. Quite a few respondents do not like having "always" as a response choice. Says one, "The word 'always' sets the organization up for failure. Patients rarely mark anything as 'always' occurring." According to another, "Studies have demonstrated higher morbidity and mortality data with increasing patient/consumer satisfaction. That suggests that higher patient satisfaction does not necessarily translate to better care." One respondent recognizes that being hospitalized is stressful: "Because patients and families that are asked to participate in the survey at that time are stressed, sometimes their responses are driven by the stress associated with their situation."
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs