Crouse Docs Rap to Halt HAC
Crouse, a 506-bed hospital with 2,700 employees, has indeed had a few challenges lately. The Leapfrog Group Safety Score handed them a C in November. And for the Consumer Reports safety score issued last summer, Crouse got a 42 out of 100 points, ranking 71st out of 136 hospitals in New York that were rated, which is below the middle of the pack.
The video also served to boost morale as the hospital motivates its staff to improve in all categories.
"If you look at our control charts over the last several years, everything's getting better," Lebowitz says. "Our CAUTIs, CLABSIs, and C. diff rates are trending better. We are moving in the right direction."
Lebowitz says he was concerned "about how my physician peers would react" to such a thing. "They're a serious group of people, and I thought they might say, 'Mickey, why areyou doing this? We have to be taking care of patients.'
"I thought I was going to get some negative feedback, but it's just been just the opposite."
"Instead, they've come up and slapped me on the back. They've said, 'we really needed that injection of fun. And we love the message.' "
As a hospital official these days who is not in private practice, Lebowitz spends time walking the halls of the hospital as a liaison between staff and administration. "And I can't tell you how many people have come up to me and said "Hey, HAC-NO. I can't get that jingle out of my mind."
But the video personality "who gets the most kudos," Lebowitz says, "is our Dr. Brown—our C. Diff. People just love seeing him out there, a 70ish retired surgeon, rapping about HACs."
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013