30-Day Readmission Rates Fell in 2012
Cheryl Clark, for HealthLeaders Media, March 1, 2013
- The Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program "will redistribute an estimated $963 million to hospitals based on their quality performance in the FY 2013 payment year.
- Likewise, Blum said, the value-based payment system for physicians will apply a payment modifier for physician pay by 2017, he said, depending on the "quality of care furnished compared to cost." The modifier will begin with groups of 100 or more eligible professionals starting in 2015, based on their performance this calendar year.
- For patients with end-stage renal disease who require dialysis, the agency is now imposing specific quality measures. In February, CMS launched the Comprehensive ESRD Care Initiative, which provides incentives for dialysis centers, nephrologists, and others to improve "the entire care experience" for patients receiving dialysis.
- Partnership for Patients, CMS' initiative, which aims to avoid unnecessary deaths for 60,000 people by averting hospital-acquired but preventable conditions and readmissions over a three-year period, now has more than 3,700 participating hospitals, as well as other caregiver organizations and consumer groups.
Hospital Engagement Networks known as HENs are working at the national, regional, state or individual hospital level, Blum said. P4P seeks to reduce adverse drug reactions, pressure ulcers, premature deliveries, childbirth complications, and surgical site infections.
- The Community Based Care Transitions Program, a $500 million effort specified by the healthcare reform law, now works with 82 organizations in 33 states to smooth transitions from hospital to post-discharge settings.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- CMS to Speak with ICD-10 Backers Tuesday
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- Governor Details Healthcare Payment Reform Path in Arkansas
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- MetroHealth Revs Its Population Health Engine
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- HIX Success Could Generate Add-On Revenue for CT