Medical Director Compensation Increasingly Tied to Value, Quality
The MGMA survey focuses on medical directors who spend six hour or less on their directorship or administrative roles. " For the primary care folks, for example, about 35% of them are paid at an hourly rate, about 40% are paid at a monthly rate, and 23% are paid at an annual rate in this survey, " Evenson says.
"How they are being reimbursed or compensated is a function of their looking at the clinical aspects of the practice, whether that is patient satisfaction metrics, the quality metrics, " Evenson says.
"That might even be provider and staff satisfaction as well. They are working with a team of physicians to develop policies and guidelines for delivering the care in their organizations. That is really where we are seeing these folks fitting in in terms of how they are being compensated. "
While the roles appear to be same for medical directors at physician-owned practices and hospital-owned practices, Evenson says the biggest difference is the amount of time dedicated to the directorship duties.
"In a hospital, they would spend more time on the directorship role with an annualized amount of compensation as being one of the leaders in the health system, " he says. " They would be directing that clinical care across a multitude of physicians whereas in a smaller single specialty practice the amount of time that can be spent on that is dramatically reduced. "
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula