Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
Hospital Compare now offers data on:
- The percentage of patients who underwent hip or knee surgery who were readmitted within 30 days.
- The percentage of all patients admitted to the hospital for any type of care who were readmitted within 30 days, the so-called "all-cause readmission rate."
- "Excess readmissions," which it describes as "Excess readmissions are measured by a ratio, by dividing a hospital's number of "predicted" 30-day readmissions for heart attack, heart failure, and pneumonia by the number that would be "expected," based on an average hospital with similar patients."
- Registry Participation – An expanded listing of the types of registries that each hospital participates in now includes general surgical registries.
- Surgical Complication – The percentage of patients admitted for a hip or a knee replacement surgery that had a serious complication.
- Hospital Efficiency – Details on how much was spent on beneficiaries at each hospital during each of three periods of time: between one to three days prior to admission, during the admission and during the 30 days after discharge.
AHA Reaction to Hospital Compare Updates
Nancy Foster, vice president for quality and patient safety policy, applauded hospitals for making deadly infection information public, saying that sharing this information has helped "to inform efforts to reduce infections" by seeing which hospitals' efforts are the most successful.
However, she says, the infection data on Hospital Compare covers only a three-month period that ended March 31, 2013, and "because we know that small sample sizes, seasonal changes in the kinds of conditions that bring people to hospitals, and other factors can affect the data." So hospitals will have to wait before comparisons can be made."
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System