Top Healthcare Quality Issues for 2014, Part 2
11. Choosing Wisely
A buzzword among physician specialty groups, the Choosing Wisely campaign launched two years ago by the American Board of Internal medicine Foundation is increasingly relevant in hospital care as well as in ambulatory settings.
Guidance from the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Society for Vascular Medicine, American College of Surgeons, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons are just some of the professional groups that have issued lists of procedures previously performed in acute care settings that may likely be ill advised.
While most of 50 physician societies have published a list of five procedures or tests they say patients and their providers should question, the Society of Hospital Medicine has published a list of 10.
12. Cost Data Feedback Loops
Physicians and hospitals are starting a major push to get CMS to release Medicare fee-for-service data. That's necessary in order for payers and hospital organizations to measure and evaluate provider performance and healthcare utilization, wrote Donald Berwick, MD, former CMS administrator and John Toussaint, MD, ThedaCare Center for Healthcare Value in Appleton, WI in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
A provision of the healthcare reform law permits such Medicare claims data to be released to "qualified entities" that meet certain criteria, but according to CMS, only 12 QEs have been certified to receive this information, and those cover "relatively small population bases," Toussaint and Berwick wrote.
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- Docs Fret as HHS Addresses Malpractice Reporting 'Loopholes'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013