AMA: Patients Lack Education on Physician Credentials
• 16% of respondents said that an ophthalmologist is not a medical doctor and 13% said they were not sure.
• 54% of respondents think an optometrist is a medical doctor, while 6% are unsure.
• 68% of respondents said they think podiatrists are medical doctors and 11% said they were unsure.
• 78% replied "yes" when asked if anesthesiologists are medical doctors, while 19% said no and 3% were unsure.
• 69% of respondents said that they thought dentists are medical doctors.
• 31% said they believe chiropractors are medical doctors, and 6% said they were not sure.
The survey results also indicate that in the two years between these AMA surveys, the public's accurate distinction between those who have undergone medical doctor education and training and those who have not improved slightly. But in one case, the accuracy of responses worsened.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?