AMA: 1 in 5 Medical Claims Incorrectly Processed
Greg Freeman, for HealthLeaders Media, February 2, 2011
- Do you gather supporting documentation to respond to health insurers’ claims adjustments and routinely submit appeal letters using easily accessible templates to streamline and standardize appeals for common denials?
- Does your practice maintain a follow-up log to monitor its communications with insurers regarding claims?
- Does your practice hold internal claims processing and review meetings to periodically evaluate your work flow for ways to improve efficiency?
- Do you persist in appealing your delayed, denied, or reduced payments until they are paid accurately?
- Do you have a plan for complying with the 5010 and ICD-10 mandated updates? The deadline for upgrading electronic transactions to the HIPAA-mandated 5010 version is January 1, 2012, and the deadline for reporting ICD-10 codes is October 1, 2013.
The AMA offers an interactive library of resources and tools for improving claims submission and efficiency here. The tools are available free of charge.
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013