AMA: 1 in 5 Medical Claims Incorrectly Processed
Greg Freeman, for HealthLeaders Media, February 2, 2011
- Do you gather supporting documentation to respond to health insurers’ claims adjustments and routinely submit appeal letters using easily accessible templates to streamline and standardize appeals for common denials?
- Does your practice maintain a follow-up log to monitor its communications with insurers regarding claims?
- Does your practice hold internal claims processing and review meetings to periodically evaluate your work flow for ways to improve efficiency?
- Do you persist in appealing your delayed, denied, or reduced payments until they are paid accurately?
- Do you have a plan for complying with the 5010 and ICD-10 mandated updates? The deadline for upgrading electronic transactions to the HIPAA-mandated 5010 version is January 1, 2012, and the deadline for reporting ICD-10 codes is October 1, 2013.
The AMA offers an interactive library of resources and tools for improving claims submission and efficiency here. The tools are available free of charge.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts