5 Questions to Determine Readmission Rate Effectiveness
AMI patients need to see their cardiologist within 7 days after discharge and should be enrolled in cardiac rehabilitation. Readmission rates for pneumonia patients, who typically return with unresolved pneumonia or COPD, vary significantly by hospital, ranging from 15% to more than 22%. Mortality rates are even more striking, ranging from 6.7% to nearly 21%. It is important to treat the elderly and immunocompromised patients further upstream with vaccines, and timely blood cultures and antibiotic treatments should begin within 2 to 4 hours of diagnosis. The majority of all hospital readmissions are usually due to the original admission or related conditions, but the reasons vary more widely between 7, 14 and 30 days postdischarge.
Question 4: What post-acute referral locations create our greatest readmission risks?
Regardless of whether or not a hospital or health system owns a post-acute care site, it will be held accountable for readmissions from that site. Readmission rates for post-acute care providers differ, with skilled nursing facilities and home health care typically showing the highest rates of inpatient readmission. Clinical leaders should meet with their post-acute care providers to discuss what kinds of patients they are seeing, how ill those patients are and how transitions can be improved. Post-acute data by disease and site of care need to be understood and managed with all stakeholders brought into the process.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty