M-health, Mobile Apps from the Payer Perspective
HLM: Do you feel your colleagues in the industry are tuned into this as you are, or does the industry as a whole have more work to do?
Tuckson: I think the industry as a whole has more work to do, but the key thing is, again, we're going to have to find a way that people come together. One of the things that's going to be very interesting in the future as we try to figure out where we go is, what happens when we start to go from the pure consumer space more into a medical space?
If the app that we're using to advance wellness now has to start moving into the space that may be associated with diagnostics, or disease monitoring—titrating of actual behavior—to start to look clinical, now we're starting to get to a whole 'nother area, which is going to be then subject to regulation, to regulatory oversight. All these are the issues that are there, and what we want to see is, How do all the participants in this space begin to see how these things connect?
HLM: Scanadu delayed its launch so they can get FDA approval, so it can be used in a medical setting.
Tuckson: At some point, you get precise about what you're trying to do, and you want it to be demonstrable to have a real impact on human health. When you do that ... you make claims, and a consumer has to purchase something based on claims of reliability, that it will do what it says, [and] a physician's office has to say that in fact this thing that a patient is doing, if I'm going to incorporate it into my clinical paradigm, I need to understand its reliability, its trustworthiness and its appropriateness.
So you want there to be appropriate regulatory oversight. All these things have to be sorted out. What I would say is, let's not let those challenges slow down the train of innovation. We've got a lot of room to get to, and a dynamic dialogue. The alternative hypothesis is almost unimaginable, which is, we do nothing, we don't innovate, we don't develop new ideas, we continue to have this extraordinary increase.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?