Why Hospitals, Doctors Trail the HIT Revolution
The other problem is that unless you have the inpatient, the outpatient, the lab, the claims data, patient-generated data, you don't have a perspective on what the patient needs or what's going on.
Everyone has one piece of that information, but they don't have the entire picture. From a consumer perspective, there's no EHR system that I've found anywhere that enables you to collect patient-generated data and integrate it into the record.
HLM: There's talk about it in the Health IT Standards Committee.
Wasden: I'm writing a chapter for a book right now on all the barriers among providers to patient-generated data, and the reality is, providers don't want patient-generated data. You have this alert issue. "All it's going to do is give us all these alerts we don't want."
They've got issues around privacy and security. They've got issues about liability. This is an interesting one. Right now, if I have no information on you, no digital information, and I make a diagnosis, and I'm wrong, what's the downside? Some other doctor's going to say that I was wrong, but that's his opinion, and he wasn't there at the moment.
What's the patient know? The patient doesn't know anything. So it's my word against somebody else's word. If I have a lot of digital information, now there's a fact base. What sort of risk am I now exposing myself to when there's actually data and facts as opposed to my opinion? So my liability goes up a lot, by adding digital information, so they're concerned about that.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement