Tavenner: No ICD-10 Delay, But Expect Some MU Relief
"Let's face it guys; it's time to move on," Tavenner said. "There will be no change in the deadline for ICD-10. CMS began installing and testing systems for ICD-10 in 2011. All fee for service systems at CMS are ready."
Earlier this month, in response to concerns raised by providers and a group of U.S. senators, CMS agreed to perform end-to-end ICD-10 testing with a small sample group of providers selected to represent "a broad cross-section of provider types, claims types, and submitter types."
The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) responded to Tavenner's comments at HIMSS in a statement released shortly after the keynote speech.
"[CHIME] welcomes CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner's announcement this morning, acknowledging the need to provide relief for our nation's providers. Such relief is vitally important for the future success of Meaningful Use, as ICD-10 deadlines and continued shifts in payment policies demand an ever-increasing amount of IT and workforce resources," the statement read.
In the event that expansion of the Hardship Expectations provides the "kind of relief the industry desperately needs," CHIME will pledge to assist CMS "in every way possible," the statement continued. "It will be CHIME's highest policy priority to ensure that providers receive the kind of relief they need in order to deliver quality care."
Additional reporting by Scott Mace.
Lena Weiner is an Associate Editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- The case for concierge medicine
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure