5 Ways to Avoid CPOE Pitfalls
Simply having a CPOE system in place isn't nearly enough."The belief that simply buying and installing health information technology will automatically lead to safer and better care is a myth," Binder says.
Organizations must start with good content, get plenty of input from clinicians, and then customize the product, says Jeff Rose, MD, vice president of clinical excellence and informatics at Ascension Health.
5. Share best practices
Healthcare organizations are putting aside competition to share best practices in CPOE adoption. Developing evidence-based order sets is expensive, Rose notes. Ascension is working with two other large systems to create a set that is 80% complete—then organizations can tailor the remaining 20% to its own needs with input from its physicians.
You can read more about how to create an effective, safe, and easy-to-use CPOE system in the September issue of HealthLeaders magazine article Strategies Toward Simpler, Safer CPOEs.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'