Why Hospitals, Doctors Trail the HIT Revolution
The other problem is that unless you have the inpatient, the outpatient, the lab, the claims data, patient-generated data, you don't have a perspective on what the patient needs or what's going on.
Everyone has one piece of that information, but they don't have the entire picture. From a consumer perspective, there's no EHR system that I've found anywhere that enables you to collect patient-generated data and integrate it into the record.
HLM: There's talk about it in the Health IT Standards Committee.
Wasden: I'm writing a chapter for a book right now on all the barriers among providers to patient-generated data, and the reality is, providers don't want patient-generated data. You have this alert issue. "All it's going to do is give us all these alerts we don't want."
They've got issues around privacy and security. They've got issues about liability. This is an interesting one. Right now, if I have no information on you, no digital information, and I make a diagnosis, and I'm wrong, what's the downside? Some other doctor's going to say that I was wrong, but that's his opinion, and he wasn't there at the moment.
What's the patient know? The patient doesn't know anything. So it's my word against somebody else's word. If I have a lot of digital information, now there's a fact base. What sort of risk am I now exposing myself to when there's actually data and facts as opposed to my opinion? So my liability goes up a lot, by adding digital information, so they're concerned about that.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers