Why Hospitals, Doctors Trail the HIT Revolution
The other problem is that unless you have the inpatient, the outpatient, the lab, the claims data, patient-generated data, you don't have a perspective on what the patient needs or what's going on.
Everyone has one piece of that information, but they don't have the entire picture. From a consumer perspective, there's no EHR system that I've found anywhere that enables you to collect patient-generated data and integrate it into the record.
HLM: There's talk about it in the Health IT Standards Committee.
Wasden: I'm writing a chapter for a book right now on all the barriers among providers to patient-generated data, and the reality is, providers don't want patient-generated data. You have this alert issue. "All it's going to do is give us all these alerts we don't want."
They've got issues around privacy and security. They've got issues about liability. This is an interesting one. Right now, if I have no information on you, no digital information, and I make a diagnosis, and I'm wrong, what's the downside? Some other doctor's going to say that I was wrong, but that's his opinion, and he wasn't there at the moment.
What's the patient know? The patient doesn't know anything. So it's my word against somebody else's word. If I have a lot of digital information, now there's a fact base. What sort of risk am I now exposing myself to when there's actually data and facts as opposed to my opinion? So my liability goes up a lot, by adding digital information, so they're concerned about that.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services