Cuts to Community Health Centers Hit Rural Americans Hardest
"Thirdly, health centers have formed partnerships to secure other kinds of funding for home health agencies and visiting nurses and other kinds of partnerships with hospitals," he says. "So whether it's from a business perspective, from a let's-keep-the-doors-open perspective, or a partnership perspective there are many reasons why rural hospitals should support the opening or rural health centers."
The NACHC report notes that rural counties with community health centers had 25% fewer uninsured in the emergency room for ambulatory care sensitive conditions, compared with counties without a health center.
"Most importantly even if that rural hospital has an emergency room, who wants to see it crowded with people who don't need to be there but they don't have anywhere else to go?" Hawkins says.
The study also found that community health centers generate about $5 billion annually to rural communities through employment and supplier purchases.
It is hard to say if Congress or the White House would respond to a concerted effort by rural healthcare providers to call for the reinstatement of funding levels for community health centers.
But it's not a hard argument to make or to grasp. Rural healthcare providers should make the case for community health centers even if our elected representatives seem immunized against calls for logic and common sense.
It's in everyone's best interest.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission