Transparency Rules at Mountain States Health Alliance
It's all common sense. When you provide people with healthcare data you provide them with the opportunity to make choices on critically important decisions. It's a buy-in. If patients and their families understand and have a voice in their care regimens they will more likely follow those regimens when they leave the hospital.
If you want engaged and accountable staff, share your data. Brag on the successes but don't shade the problem areas. When staff see data that clearly demonstrates you have a problem they will rally to fix it. Data provides accountability and empowerment for everyone from the CEO to the environmental staff.
"An environment of transparency not only makes information available for people but also creates an environment where folks can ask for information and challenge and ask questions. It is that challenging of our status quo that takes us on the steps to improvement," Parsons says.
"We want people who are engaged with the mission and vision of Mountain States—where they are not only intellectually tied to delivering healthcare but they are also emotionally invested in the work we do.
Transparency allows us to further the engagement as well and the sharing of information allows us to break down silos so we can work together and integrate what we do and truly put the patient at the center of everything we do."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised