Business Roundup: HMA Finalizes Deal with Bayfront Health
The three L+M applications were the first to be made under a new process available in Rhode Island which is directed at expediting the regulatory review for a Rhode Island hospital that is financially distressed and is being acquired by another non-profit hospital.
The Westerly Hospital filed for receivership in December 2011. In August 2012, Rhode Island Superior Court Associate Justice Brian Stern, the judge presiding over the receivership, approved L+M's bid to buy The Westerly Hospital.
Asante (OR) Health Systems Announces 'Positive Step' in Ashland Hospital Deal
Asante Health Systems President/CEO Roy Vinyard has told employees at the Medford, OR-based system that "positive steps" have been taking toward the acquisition of Ashland Community Hospital.
"After several weeks of earnest negotiations, ACH, the ACH Foundation and Asante have agreed upon a letter of intent that outlines terms for an agreement. Though we remain optimistic that ACH will join Asante, I emphasize that this is just a step albeit a very significant one toward that goal," Vinyard wrote in the memo.
Vinyard said the deal requires the approval of the Ashland City Council, which owns Ashland Community Hospital. The council is scheduled to review the proposal at its regular meeting on Feb. 19. Under the proposal, Asante would make $10 million in capital improvements to Ashland Community and would attempt to avoid employee layoffs.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission