CFO Exchange: Healthcare Reform Breeds Innovation
On the debut of the health insurance exchanges:
"Payers know they will take a big haircut on exchanges as [they are] fee-for-service. That's why so many in our state decided not to participate. Because the healthy young won't join and older people will at lower price than their risk. Whoever decides to do it for market share is taking a huge gamble."
—Rich Rothberger, CFO, Scripps Health
Today's CFOs identified numerous challenges, but they're not just cataloguing those challenges—they're doing their best to implement solutions. Through this kind of information sharing, HealthLeaders is doing its best to help facilitate the transfer of knowledge in perhaps the most challenging time not only for healthcare CFOs, but for the entire healthcare system.
Healthcare is changing rapidly, and CFOs aren't standing still—they're racing to innovate.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- Slideshow: Healthcare Leaders Name IT Spending Priorities
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations