MGMA-ACMPE Seeks Delay for Stage 2 MU Penalties
Last week, the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society called for launching Stage 2 on schedule, but extending Year 1 of the Meaningful Use Stage 2 attestation through mid-2015 for hospitals and physicians. The society said the additional 18 months "encourages continued progress while simultaneously acknowledging short-term obstacles."
"Perfect Storm" of Regulatory Compliance Issues
On Aug. 7 the American Academy of Family Physicians asked Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Administrator Marilyn Tavenner "not to delay the implementation of MU stage two, but to extend the timeframe for compliance with MU stage two requirements by 12 months."
AAFP Board Chair Glen Stream, MD, told Tavenner that "2014 brings a perfect storm of regulatory compliance issues for family physicians that, we fear, may derail health information technology adoption and substantially interfere with our shared progress toward achieving better care for patients, better health for communities and lower costs through improvements to the healthcare system."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Slideshow: Healthcare Leaders Name IT Spending Priorities
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- New Orleans East Hospital opens quietly, still seeking accreditation
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations