IHI: Berwick on ACOs, Congress, Fraud
5. Pricing failures: "We have very good evidence first of enormous price differences of the exact same service between here and other countries. The differences are orders of magnitude," Berwick said. He gave as examples the costs of MRI testing, and certain kinds of durable medical equipment and prosthetics.
6. Fraud and abuse: Berwick said some of this is linked to organized crime. Authority in the Affordable Care Act has enabled federal agencies to pre-screen suppliers and providers to assure they haven't been implicated in prior scams.
Berwick, who recently got his own Medicare card, says he is looking forward to returning to his home in Boston. He and his wife are planning a cross-country ski trip at their home in New Hampshire, if and when the snow comes, because "Washington is a place where one gains weight because there's no time for exercise."
Walking the halls of the forum yesterday, Berwick seemed in excellent spirits as he greeted old friends, IHI co-workers, and hospital executives. He appeared genuinely surprised at being treated like a healthcare rock star, patiently withstanding lengthy applause whenever he was recognized during a session or keynote. He said, however, that it made him uncomfortable.
"One of my concerns in these few days of transition for me, is this overpersonalization. This really isn't about me. I had a great time [at CMS] I had a wonderful opportunity, but I'm ready for the next one...And I'm a little uncomfortable that this is about a person. It's about a nation, and how are we going to get to the answer."
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations