PA Hospital's Deficiencies Detailed in CAP
Other deficiencies and violations identified in the survey include:
- Failure to transfer emergency room patients to other facilities in a timely manner
- Failure to ensure that the x-ray equipment is properly calibrated
- Failure to dispose of expired medications
- The continued use of expired lab testing supplies
- Excessive humidity levels in operating rooms
- Failure to conduct preventive maintenance on operating room anesthesia machines
- Failure to prepare and for the board to accept an annual operating budget for 2012
- Consistent delays in the payment of employee federal tax withholdings, and Social Security and Medicare payroll deductions as required by law.
- Continuing to deduct from employee paychecks the payments for long-term disability insurance although the policy was terminated in August 2011 due to nonpayment.
- Suspending payments to the employees' 401K vendor without notifying employees.
The survey identifies several instances when the deficiencies or violations may have directly compromised patient care:
- The ER staff was unable to monitor the heart rate or blood oxygen levels of an 18-day old infant because there were no pediatric/infant electrodes or a pulse oximetry machine available in the ER.
- A ER patient requiring advanced cardiac life support waited two hours for a transfer to another hospital
- The fire alarm system vendor cancelled the service for nonpayment. For four months Saint Catherine didn't have central station fire alarm monitoring however staff was never informed that they would need to call the fire department to report a fire at the hospital.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Cleveland Clinic Partners with North Shore-LIJ for Heart Care