M&A Roundup: KentuckyOne Health forms $1.4B JOA
Piedmont, WellStar form Georgia Health Collaborative
Metro Atlanta's Piedmont Healthcare and WellStar Health System have formed the Georgia Health Collaborative.
The collaborative intends to develop innovative healthcare delivery models, economically aligned physician relationships, and service line cost savings.Under the deal, the two not-for-profit health systems will remain independent but will use the collaborative to serve a primary service area population of more than three million people across north Georgia. With a combined 2,393 hospital beds, 10 hospitals, seven urgent care centers, and more than 700 physicians in the Piedmont Physicians Group, Piedmont Heart Institute, and the WellStar Medical Group, the Collaborative will redefine the delivery of healthcare services in metro Atlanta, the two companies announced jointly.
"Even the strongest health systems recognize that creating a sustainable healthcare industry is going to require significant change," Piedmont President and Interim COO Gregory A. Hurst said in prepared remarks. "A collaborative allows us to create both scale and efficiency without the same debt and integration challenges that come with expansion or acquisition. Our systems seem perfect for this type of partnership."
ID hospitals seek injunction against medical group acquisition
Boise, ID–based Saint Alphonsus Medical Center–Nampa and Treasure Valley Hospital announced last week that they had filed a petition for an injunction asking a federal court to delay the acquisition of Nampa's Saltzer Medical Group by St. Luke's Health System.
The filing alleges that the planned acquisition of Saltzer Medical Group by St. Luke's will create a monopoly of primary care physicians in Nampa who regularly see commercially insured patients and will have a long-term detrimental impact on the Nampa community, its citizens, and the hospital that has served the community for more than 100 years, Saint Alphonsus and Treasure Valley said in a joint statement.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns