HL20: Patrick McGuire, CPA—On the Path of Mutual Alignment
SJP PIC created three boards to provide leadership for the organization's activities, including physician services and support, utilization and quality improvement, and finance and contracting.
"We felt the foundational principle of this partnership should be that everything is 50/50 to the extent possible, so we have two co-chairs of the organization—our CEO Dr. Patricia Maryland and the Physician's Alliance vice chairperson Dr. Daniel Megler—and for all boards," explains McGuire. "We've always felt we worked in partnership but to really demonstrate that and to work closely with The Physician Alliance on these committees ensures transparent and candid discussion about all of our issues."
With SJP PIC in place, the organization has begun moving swiftly toward growing its population health offering, expanding its patient-centered medical model dubbed the PCMH Neighborhood and developing an accountable care organization.
"We can't predict with precision what the future will look like but we know we need to change based on what we do as an industry and what the federal government does. So when you're shaping a future without knowing what to expect, you need core principles to believe in and this partnership fits those. We all know, and our payers have told us, this is a very unique arrangement," says McGuire.
"I want the physicians to be the most successful in our market and they want us to be successful. And if I'm not building something to make them successful from a clinical and patient satisfaction standpoint, then I'm not building anything with staying power. If you start with the premise that you're really equal partners you'll have a successful recipe for the future," he concludes.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health