Physicians Push for Say in Value-Based Payments Structure
In orthopedics there is a wide cost gap between doctors who prescribe professional rehab for their patients and doctors who send their patients home with rehab instructions. Hip replacement with rehab can cost twice as much as sending a patient home, Roman says.
With more and more patients facing high deductibles and other out-of-pocket expenses, making cost figures public would help patients find their most affordable treatment options, the orthopedic surgeon said. "If you have a high deductible, you're going to shop around," he said.
The ACO Model
Earl Ferguson, MD, a California cardiologist and author of the recently released book "American Healthcare Reform," said physician reimbursement reform is needed, but any new rules should avoid imposing more administrative demands on physicians. "We need to incentivize efficiency, productivity and quality, and decrease costs," he said. "But it's getting so complex, it's taking physicians away from actual medicine."
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- Medicare is pricier in unhealthy states, study says
- Mobile Health Screenings Come Under Scrutiny
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals
- Strategically, Physicians Make Room for RNs