Greater Claims Data Scrutiny Could Save Hospitals $800M
Among Mission's cost savers: It reduced its cycle time for claims by 70% by clarifying documentation requirements and shifting from paper claims to electronic submissions.
For its part, Blue Shield and has just announced a collaboration with the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, which will add about 160 hospitals to the POET system. Blue Shield is also piloting the process with 30 physician groups.
The process is part of an effort to "break down silos," explains Martinez. "A lot of claims problems are because hospitals and payers "just speak different languages."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Narrow Networks Enjoying a Resurgence
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Anne Wojcicki—Unlocking Consumer Access to Genetics
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- Physicians Trained in High-Cost Regions Spend More
- Christmas Tree Syndrome Season Underway