Greater Claims Data Scrutiny Could Save Hospitals $800M
Among Mission's cost savers: It reduced its cycle time for claims by 70% by clarifying documentation requirements and shifting from paper claims to electronic submissions.
For its part, Blue Shield and has just announced a collaboration with the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, which will add about 160 hospitals to the POET system. Blue Shield is also piloting the process with 30 physician groups.
The process is part of an effort to "break down silos," explains Martinez. "A lot of claims problems are because hospitals and payers "just speak different languages."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians