Greater Claims Data Scrutiny Could Save Hospitals $800M
Among Mission's cost savers: It reduced its cycle time for claims by 70% by clarifying documentation requirements and shifting from paper claims to electronic submissions.
For its part, Blue Shield and has just announced a collaboration with the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, which will add about 160 hospitals to the POET system. Blue Shield is also piloting the process with 30 physician groups.
The process is part of an effort to "break down silos," explains Martinez. "A lot of claims problems are because hospitals and payers "just speak different languages."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers